Tandy completes Silverstone Classic double in second Masters Endurance Legends race

Steve Tandy (Lola-Mazda B12/60) doubled up at the Silverstone Classic as he fended off the attentions of Le Mans veteran Hervé Regout in the Lola-Aston Martin DBR1-2. Never separated by more than 1.5 seconds, except for a mistake by Regout three laps from the end, the two wooed the crowds with a thrilling battle for the lead, passing and re-passing each other on lap 5, Regout firmly taking the lead on lap 6, and Tandy turning the tables yet again on lap 8 when Regout outbraked himself into the Loop. The Belgian once again closed the gap but dropped back after a second mistake on lap 11. At the finish, Tandy had just 0.8 seconds in hand.

It was very exciting”, said Tandy. “I knew the Lola-Aston Martin was the car I had to beat – and it was great racing against an old pro like Hervé. Really close and clean racing!

“I accidentally hit the pit limiter”, Regout said about suddenly losing three seconds to Tandy at the end, “and then I had just too much traffic. But I’m very grateful to Ron Maydon for creating this series. I used to drive Group C, but LMP1 is something else. It’s an entirely new challenge – yes, at my age! You know, you’re never finished, I still have a lot of things to learn…”

In an equally epic struggle for third place, David Porter (Peugeot 908 HDi FAP) finally pulled through by passing Martin Short’s Dallara-Judd SP1 on the penultimate lap. The Peugeot had been hounding the Dallara lap after lap, the cars running nose to tail for 14 laps before Porter finally found a way past.

Martin’s probably done five million laps around here”, said Porter. “And I’m new to the track and to the car – I’m still learning to find its limits. But I knew his tyres were going off at the end, and that’s what happened. And with the extra grunt of the Peugeot it was game over.

Following Gareth Evans’ Creation-AIM 07, Sir Chris Hoy won P2 class honours in the Courage LC75 raced by Mike Furness yesterday. Hoy’s class rival Michael Lyons (ORECA-Nissan 03) had retire from fifth place on lap 2.

After the stops, Nick Leventis in the Aston Martin DBR9 took charge in the GT1 class, fending off Steve Zacchia’s Ferrari 550. Early class leader James Cottingham had to retire his 550 on lap 9.

“It was fantastic”, said Leventis. “Yesterday, the prop shaft failed so we had to come from the back. Fortunately we had a spare prop shaft, and it was great to come through the field.”

In GT2, Paul Whight prevailed in the Aston Martin Vantage that was campaigned by Tom Kimber-Smith yesterday. James Thorpe’s Ferrari 430 led initially but Whight turned it around at the stops. Colin Sowter was a distant third in his Vantage.