Michael Lyons takes win in second FIA Masters Historic Formula One race at Silverstone

Williams FW07B driver Michael Lyons took victory in the second FIA Masters Historic Formula One race at the Silverstone Classic by sweeping around the outside of poleman Jonathan Kennard’s Arrows A3 into the first corner and then controlling a lead of around two to three seconds to the flag.

Me and Andy [Wolfe] were joking about not lifting in turn one”, said Lyons of his daring move, at the end of which he and Kennard rubbed wheels.

“And I didn’t lift! We were side by side after the rolling start and into the first corner I kept my foot in. Jon had to lift out of the exit as I was already there! Having done the pass, I didn’t want to push too hard in the early laps, so I got a nice gap and controlled it afterwards.”

Kennard looked set for second place but an engine issue on the final lap dropped him down to third behind yesterday’s winner, Nick Padmore in the Williams FW07C. With Kennard in the invitational class, the third man on the podium was Andy Wolfe (Tyrrell 011) who held off Martin Stretton (Tyrrell 012) for fourth place.

“Tyres…” sighed Padmore on his inability to threaten Lyons and Kennard. “From lap 3 it started to get more and more sideways, so there was nothing I could do.”

Wolfe was a distant third again, unable to keep pace with the drivers in front. His injured thumb – still on the mend – was handing him all sorts of additional challenges. “I had a problem with too much understeer, but I was unable to adjust the anti-roll bar. I could push the lever, which only made it worse, but I just couldn’t pull it towards me! I was very pleased to see the flag, if I’m honest, since it was very annoying to see Martin in my mirrors for the entire race.”

Stretton indeed hounded Wolfe all the way to the flag, the two Tyrrells finishing some 13 seconds ahead of an entertaining battle between Steve Hartley’s Arrows A4 and the Williams FW07s of Mike Cantillon and Mike Wrigley. Cantillon passed the Arrows on lap 8 to take sixth ahead of Hartley and Wrigley.

Meanwhile, Greg Thornton made it two out of two in his Lotus 77 by again beating Max Smith-Hilliard’s Fittipaldi F5A to the pre-78 class win. Thornton had a scare on the final lap when his engine momentarily switched off but still kept a 9-second lead over Smith-Hilliard.

“That yellow car is always in the mirror, you can’t miss it”, said Thornton of his class nemesis

Although his Lotus eked out a gap of 9 seconds at the flag while battling with Joaquin Folch’s Brabham BT49C, seeing Folch go past on lap 9 to take ninth overall.

“Same story as yesterday”, said Smith-Hilliard, “although I drove better today. But Greg had great pace, and I couldn’t keep up. I had some interesting tussles with Joaquin, and was pleased to keep Katsu [Kubota] behind.”

Like yesterday, Phil Hall (Theodore TR1) took a lonely third in class, but this time it was handed to him after Jamie Constable’s Shadow DN8 was knocked out of a safe third place in class when Steve Boultbee-Brooks’ Lotus 81 dived inside into the Loop, hit the Shadow on its left rear wheel and sent it flying. Constable limped back to the pits with a broken rear suspension.

“There were a lot of people going off in front of me”, said Hall about the way he conquered his second podium of the weekend, “it was a bit of a lonely race for me, as I was only racing the ground-effect cars around me.”

The results for the flat-bottomed post-1983 Lauda and pre-73 Stewart classes mirrored those of yesterday. Martin Stretton easily won the Lauda class ahead of Katsu Kubota and Ian Simmonds, all-in Tyrrell 012s, while David Shaw overcame an early setback to dominate the Stewart class in his March 721-based Eifelland Typ 21.