Aguas doubles up in second Masters Endurance Legends race

Portuguese driver Rui Aguas made it two out of two in Kriton Lendoudis’s Peugeot 908X to also win the second Masters Endurance Legends race of the Masters Historic Festival at Brands Hatch. Steve Tandy put up a strong challenge in the Lola-Mazda B12/60 to lose out by just nine seconds at the finish.

Tandy ran second from lap 2, passing Martin Rich in the ORECA-Nissan 03 he shared with Alex Kapadia. As Aguas opened up a 30-second gap towards the pit window, Tandy in his turn put some six seconds between himself and Rich, who dove into the pits at the first opportunity to hand over to Kapadia.

Aguas being a pro driver was forced to sit longer in the pits than Tandy but the Lola-Mazda left the pits with just ten seconds in hand on the Peugeot. Tandy was pushing, though, forcing his Portuguese rival to need eight laps to retake the lead.

Yes, it was quite a long pitstop”, Aguas laughed, “and it was actually hard to catch up with Steve on the last laps. But the car was behaving well, and I managed to get by.

“Today I really got into the groove”, said a pleased Tandy. “We did a couple of changes overnight, which improved the car a lot. I was expecting to see Alex come up behind, though, but he didn’t!”

While Aguas overcame his pro-driver pitstop penalty to take back first place with seven laps to go, fellow pro driver Kapadia could do no better than finish a distant third, 37 seconds down on Aguas, but first of the P2 cars.

“We stayed on the same tyres as yesterday”, Kapadia explained, “so there just wasn’t that much speed in it today.”

It was just brilliant to get some proper laps in”, Rich said, referring to his stint behind the safety car in Saturday’s race. “We couldn’t fight as the front but I’m happy to be here and take home two class wins.

Entertainment was provided by Martin Short (Dallara-Judd SP1) and Nigel Greensall (Riley & Scott Mk3) battling it out during their opening stints while Short was again in the midst of it in the second part of the race, this time having to fend off David Porter in the second Peugeot 908. In the end, Porter spun off at Surtees while trying, leaving Short to take a hard-fought fourth place.

From the back of the grid, Ralph Meichtry (ORECA-Nissan 03) fought his way back to fifth, ahead of Greensall, Porter (who got going again), Keith Frieser’s ORECA-GM FLM09 and Travis Engen in the Audi R8.